- The word “comfort” has several connotations. What does it mean for God to offer comfort to His people?
- What (or whom) do you rely upon most for encouragement, strength and energy?
- Verse 3 is quoted in all four gospels (Matthew 3:3, Mark 1:2, Luke 3:4, John 1:23). Describe the context. How does this help you understand Isaiah 40 more fully?
- Verses 6-8 are quoted in 1 Peter 1:24-25. What is Peter’s main point, and how does Isaiah 40 support it?
- Verses 12-27 are sort of a Q&Q regarding God’s sovereign power. Reconsider question #2 in light of these verses.
- What does it look like for you to “wait on the Lord?” (v. 31) In what circumstances is it easiest? In what circumstances is it most difficult? Why?
- Verses 28-31 indicate that the weary will be strengthened and the weak will be given power. How does this connect to the gospel of Jesus Christ?