Small Group Questions
- What motivated Cain to kill Abel? What are other motivations for hating someone?
- According to verse 16, what defines love?
- What are some practical ways you can “lay down your life” for someone else?
- Read verse 18. Think of a time when you experienced someone’s love in both word and deed. How did their actions affect you?
- In verses 19-22, John sets up two different scenarios. Describe each of them, and explain the differences.
- Read verse 24. How are we assured that God lives in us – by following His commands or by the testimony of the Spirit?
- Have you ever felt as though you let God (and other Christians) down so badly that you can never be welcome in His family? How does this passage give you confidence and assurance you are loved by God?
- What does John say is “the message we have heard since the beginning?”
- Why did Cain kill his brother Abel?
- Read verse 16. How do we know what love is? What did Jesus do for us?
- Read verse 23. What is God’s command to us?
- Verse 24 tells us how we can know that God lives in us. How do we know?