1. The triumphal entry is one of the few incidents in Jesus life that appear in all four gospel accounts (John 12; Mt. 21:1-17; Mark 11:1-11; Luke 19-29-40). Compare and contrast these four accounts.
2. Verse 14 says, “as it is written.” Where is it written, and what is the context of this Old Testament passage?
3. Verse 16 is a key verse in this passage. What does it say about how we progress in our faith?
4. In verses 16-19, four different groups of people are mentioned (disciples, crowd, many others, Pharisees). Compare the responses of these four groups.
5. Imagine yourself there during Jesus’ triumphal entry, and try to determine what “crowd” you would have been in. Now imagine where you might have been a week later.
6. This week’s fast is from spectatorship. What does it mean to be an active participant (vs. a bystander) in your relationship with Christ?