Interact/Small Group Questions
1. According to Isaiah 41:8, who is the ”servant” in Isaiah 42:1?
2. According to Matthew 12:18, who is the servant in Isaiah 42:1?
3. How is the servant characterized in verses 1-4?
4. In Isaiah 42:1, God promises to uphold, delight, and place His spirit upon His servant. Does this seem an odd thing to do for a servant or slave?
5. God’s servant will “bring justice to the nations.” What does this mean?
6. Why did the description in Isaiah 42:1-4 not fit the understanding and expectation of Jesus?
7. We often talk about how the first century Jews “missed” the coming of Jesus as the Messiah because they were expecting someone else. How do we “miss” Jesus even today?