- How do you typically define being “poor?” Is there a concrete measurement, or is it always relative?
- How does your definition affect the way you see yourself and others?
- What is the context of Deuteronomy 15?
- Read verse 9. What motivation is it warning against?
- Verse 10 is sometimes used by “prosperity gospel” teachers to show how giving to the poor will result in financial blessing to you. Is that what this verse is saying?
- Deuteronomy 15:11 and Mark 14:7 are very similar. How are they different?
- What can you do this week to further develop a greater sensitivity toward the poor? What practical actions can you take to help them?
- What does it mean to be poor?
- In Deuteronomy 15:7, we are told not to be “hardhearted” or “tightfisted” toward poor people. What does this mean?
- Verse 8 says we should be “open handed.” What does this mean?
- What does verse 10 say will happen if you give to someone who is poor?
- What does Mark 14:7 say about poor people? What does it say you should do?