Small Group/Interact Questions
- In the first three verses, John mentions “truth” four times. What are the different aspects of truth that he refers to?
- In verse six, John equates love with obedience to God’s commands. Is this similar or different that your definition of love?
- Verse four commends the readers for walking in truth, yet in verse 8 they are told to watch out for the deceivers. If they are walking in truth, why do they need to be warned?
- According to verse 7, what is the “deceptive view?” What variations of this view are still present today?
- Explain verse 9. How does someone “run out ahead?”
- Verse 10-11 contain some pretty harsh warnings. How do you reconcile these verse with the earlier ones concerning love for one another?
- Taking the letter as a whole, what are John’s hopes for the community he is writing to? Do you share those hopes in our community today?
- In verses 1-4, there is a word repeated five times. What is it?
- In verse 5, John gives a command. What is it?
- According to verse 6, what is love?
- What does verse 9 say about following another teaching besides Jesus Christ?
- What are some ways you can love others?