Small Group/Interact Questions
- What does John say is true of those who believe that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah) and the Son of God?
- Verse 3 says that God’s commands are “not burdensome” or difficult. Do you find this to be true? Why or why not?
- How do verses 4-5 help us in our answer to the previous question?
- We know from the previous chapters that John’s use of “world” doesn’t mean physical stuff, rather it indicates anything (or anyone) that opposes Jesus Christ. What are the most troubling things about the world today?
- Read verses 6-8. How does John 19:31-37 (especially verse 34) help us understand these verses?
- Read verses 10-12. What is the “life” that marks the differences between those who have the Son and those who do not?
- John keeps emphasizing that Jesus came in the flesh. Why wouldn’t it have been adequate for Him to be pure Spirit?
- What does verse one say about believing Jesus Christ?
- Read verse 3 – what is one of the ways we show our love for God?
- What happens if we don’t obey God’s commands (hint: Go back and read 1 John 1:9)
- If “eternal” means forever, what does verse 11 tell us?