- In verses 12-14, how does John’s style of writing change from the previous verses? How does it change again after verse 14? Why do you think he does this?
- John addresses several groups of people in those same verses. What does he say each group has already experienced?
- Why do you think John repeats himself in verses 12-14?
- What (or who) is the “the world” in verses 15-17?
- How do verses 15-17 square with John 3:16-17?
- What practical things can we do to receive everything with thanksgiving, but still not come under control of the “the world.”
- Who are the three groups of people John is writing to in verses 12-14?
- What does he say to each of them? Why do you think he repeats himself?
- Read verses 15-17. “The world” doesn’t mean the earth – instead it means anything that is against God. Think of some things that are against God.
- Verse 17 tells us what is going to happen with the world. What is it? What do you think this means?